At Progressive Periodontics we recommend that you follow these techniques to effectively remove plaque from around your teeth and gums daily:
- Brush your teeth at least twice per day (after breakfast and after dinner).
- Brush with a soft round bristle toothbrush.
- Place your toothbrush where the gum meets the tooth, at a 45 degree angle (enabling you to clean under the gum line). Bacteria accumulate along the teeth at the gum line, so it is essential to focus on this area.
- Brush your gums very gently. (The correct brushing motion is a circular massaging technique along the gumline rather than vigorous brushing back and forth. Vigorous brushing can injure your gums.)
- Use a tongue scraper to clean your tongue, remove additional bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Replace your toothbrush every three to four months or after an illness, whichever comes first.
- Choose a soft bristled brush or preferably purchase an Oral B 3D Excel electric toothbrush which we have found to be much more effective in removing plaque in periodontal patients.
- Use toothpaste with fluoride for cavity protection. Depending on your cavity risk or other factors, we may recommend a prescription tooth paste.
Contact us today for more tips on improving your dental health.